Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT The one-legged cook is now a one-handed cook

On 6/6/2014 1:35 PM, Gary wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>>

>> I'm the one who lost a child and now, my husband. The same funeral home
>> that did my daughter's service did my husband's and his grave is right
>> near hers, so it was doubly hard, if you know what I mean.
>>
>> My husband was not a well man, but he did the things he enjoyed. He was
>> watching a NY Yankees baseball game, got up came into the kitchen and
>> sounded like he was choking. Then he fell forward and hit the floor and
>> was not breathing. The paramedics wee there in about 10 minutes but it
>> was too late.
>>
>> I am so thankful that he did not suffer a long, debilitating illness. We
>> had a great run of 28 years traveling more places and doing more things
>> than most people. I'm grateful to have had him for that long.
>>
>> Someone from the humane society came and took the kittens. A friend
>> took my dog.
>>
>> I'm going home Monday.

> You now take care of yourself, Janet. Distractions of a happy kind
> will be good for you. Don't go home and stay alone and dwell on this.
> Get your dog and little kitties back...love them and take care of
> them. Once a day, get out of the house. I did daily grocery stores
> trips once a day when I got divorced and lost my best friend. Just
> getting out for even a half hour and socializing helps quite a bit.
> It really does! Time will heal eventually.
>
> Meanwhile, stress will take down your immune system and you need to
> keep that up with your other problems. So....get out at least once per
> day. Fill your life with new things now. You might even want to
> consider moving to a new place eventually.
>
> As far as your cooking for one....as others have said, cook the same
> as you always did for now and freeze the second portion for some day
> you just don't feel like cooking.
>
> When my daughter lived here, I cooked every meal. Once she moved out
> to go to college, I had some major adjustments to do. I still cook
> large but I freeze the leftover and then I do get to eat well even on
> "days off" of cooking.
>
> You just take care of yourself now. :-D
>
> G.

thanks everyone. I still have to finish my physical therapy sessions,
so that will get me out of the house 3 days a week. Then I can start
back with the gym and yoga.

I will be very busy settling the estate, changing accounts and titles
from joint to single, learning what is to become of the health benefits
I had through his union, etc. There is no time for sitting around,

After I get everything straightened out, I intend to go into my room and
have a three-day cry. :-)

--

Janet Wilder
Posting from the Netbaby