Posted to rec.food.cooking
pltrgyst[_4_] pltrgyst[_4_] is offline

Default Reuseable K Cups

On 5/29/14, 7:43 PM, Kalmia wrote:

> Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
>> I prefer either percolator coffee or French press, and to me the French press seems easier than those k-cup machines.

Well, the liking for percolator coffee disqualifies you from any sane
discussion.

> I'm with you. I own two Frenchies - one for reg, one for decaf. I get about 60 cups of coffee out of a 12 oz. bag of beans. Try THAT, K-cups.

The point of K-cups or Nespresso pods is convenience, not making the
ultimate quality coffee.

> Plus, with the Frenchie, I can regulate the heat of the water, the

fineness of the grind, the amt of coffee and so on.

That's all true, but you shouldn't need to adjust water temp -- there is
a proven optimum brewing temp, 204 deg. F.

And again, the whole point of pods is convenience. With my Nespresso, I
switch it on, and it's ready to brew in 25 seconds; it has completed
brewing in less than another 30 seconds. (That timing is attainable even
with refillable pods.)

That's under one minute from deciding to have coffee, to sitting down
with a decent cup. By then, your water hasn't even come to a boil, let
alone brewed for 3-4 minutes.

Which is why my Gaggia Classic, Jura E750 espresso machine, French press
pots, etc. are mostly collecting dust these days...

-- Larry