Posted to rec.food.cooking
John Kuthe[_2_] John Kuthe[_2_] is offline

Default Preference for Carbon Steel over Stainless Steel

On Tue, 27 May 2014 11:26:21 +0100, "T Blake" >
wrote:

>When looking to buy a wok, even in the Posh Chinese supermarkets they are
>all Carbon Steel. I know I can easily buy a stainless steel or non-stick
>coated ones in department stores.
>
>But since the Chinese are the masters of the wok, i wonder if there is a
>reason in terms of their use and convenience for this *preference* for
>carbon steel ?

Adding carbon to iron and making "carbon steel" was the first
metallurgical technological advancement over more pure iron that was
mace by people thousands of years ago. The term "carbon steel" stuck
as being a higher quality steel, that's all.

John Kuthe...