Viviane Buzzi

Default Need ideas of how to put cherries to use

Dee,

check out www.theage.com.au - Tuesday's paper always has a foodie section
and today's had "what to do with cherries" - how to eat and drink them. The
recipes are always fairly simple but usually pretty good.

cheers
Viviane

Another idea might be my recipe below for a chocolate cherry pound cake...I
usually get good reviews when I make it:

Chocolate Cherry Pound Cake

Ingredients:

250g unsalted butter, room temperature

250g sugar

4 large eggs (250g)

180g plain flour

60g unsweetened cocoa (Valrhona)

2 teaspoons baking powder

2 Tablespoons Kirsch

@ 1 cup milk or buttermilk*

1 – 2 cups fresh pitted cherries

Preparation:

Pre-heat oven to 180°C. Line a 22cm springform (or plain) cake tin with
baking paper and butter & flour as normal.

Beat together butter and sugar until pale and fluffy and sugar is completely
incorporated.

Whisk together the eggs, add to the sugar and butter mixture and beat on
medium speed until smooth.

Sift together the flour, cocoa and baking powder.

Add half the dry ingredients to butter mixture and beat on low speed until
smooth.

Add the Kirsch and milk/buttermilk followed by the remaining flour mixture.

Fold in the cherries.

Pour the batter into the greased and lined cake tin and bake in the centre
of the oven for about 1 – 1.25 hours or until a cake skewer inserted into
the centre comes out clean.

Leave to cool in the tin for 15 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to
cool completely.

Decorate dusted with cocoa or icing sugar.

Alternatively, melt a little white couverture and pipe in a criss-cross
pattern on the top of the cake.

Serve plain or with Kirsch flavoured whipped cream.

* If using buttermilk, you could substitute 1 teaspoon baking powder and ½
teaspoon baking soda for the baking powder in the recipe.

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message
> I have purchased a number of glass jars of cherries (and a few jars of
> plums) that are pitted and size 24 oz. and very light syrup.
>
> I have boiled down the cherries and added a cobbler-type/ biscuit-type
> recipe to the top to make a simple cobbler, baking it in the oven.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas so that I can use my cherries (or plums)

simply?