Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Slow cooking for the bean lovers

"bigwheel" > wrote in message

> 'Ophelia[_11_ Wrote:
>> ;1929188']"A Year of Slow Cooking: Italian-Style Calico Bean Soup ( only
>> 4
>> ingredients!)
>> by Stephanie O'Dea
>>
>> The Ingredients
>> serves 8-10
>>
>> 1 (16-ounce) package bean soup mix, flavor packet discarded
>> 1 (12 to 16-ounce) package bulk Italian sausage, browned and crumbled
>> 1 (26-ounce) jar prepared pasta sauce
>> 2 empty pasta sauce jars worth of water
>> 1 chicken bouillon cube (12 grams)
>>
>> The Directions
>>
>> Use a 6-quart slow cooker. In a large pot on the stove top, bring the
>> beans
>> to a rapid boil in a bunch of fresh water. Boil the beans for 10
>> minutes,
>> then cover and remove from the heat. Let the beans sit in the cooling
>> water
>> for 1 hour, then drain and rinse in clean water. Place the beans into an
>>
>> empty slow cooker insert.
>>
>> {please note that because this bean mix contains red beans, the beans
>> *must* be boiled this way to kill a naturally-occurring potential toxin
>>
>> found in red beans. It's best to be safe rather than sorry!]
>>
>> In a large skillet, brown the bulk sausage on the stove top, and drain
>> any
>> accumulated fat. Scrape the pan contents into your cooker. Add the
>> entire
>> jar of pasta sauce, and two jars-worth of water. Drop in the bouillon
>> cube.
>> Stir to combine. Cover, and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, or on high
>> for
>> about 5 hours. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese and a hunk of homemade
>>
>> cornbread.
>>
>> enjoy!
>>
>> The Verdict
>>
>> I love this bean mix because it has something for everyone -- I
>> especially
>> love the great big huge butter beans that nearly triple in size while
>> cooking. The leftovers freeze beautifully, and I enjoy having lots of
>> little
>> containers in the fridge ready to go for lunches during the week.
>> If freezing, you'll need to thin a tiny bit with broth or water upon
>> reheating."
>>
>> --
>> 'Help for Heroes' (http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/)

> Not sure what kind of poison red beans yall are getting. The boil soak
> and drain strategy is to de phart the beabs for the benefit of yankees.
> Its simple indigestible sugars called scaccharides. Nothing deadly about
> it except maybe some of the smells the next morning..lol. It dont bother
> Texas folks cause we eat beans 3 times a day and twice on Sundays. Our
> sturdy constitutions learn to digest it. So if they make somebody gassy
> it prob somebody North of the Red River.
>
> 'Oligosaccharide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia'
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligosaccharide)

IIRC, black beans are the ones that contain the most of this stuff that can
kill you if they are not boiled for a few minutes. I think kidney and small
red also contain it but to a much lesser extent. Raw vegans were sickening
themselves by sprouting these and eating them. You can sprout peas, lentils
and chickpeas though.