Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pete C.[_2_] Pete C.[_2_] is offline

Default DNA Testing of Meat For Sale?

sf wrote:

> On Tue, 06 May 2014 11:44:03 -0400, William > wrote:
>
> > Is there any DNA testing going on in North America to verify animal
> > and fish species being offered for sale? I'm not that picky about
> > various types of animals and fish.
> >

> If we don't have proper USDA inspections of our meat processing plants
> - what makes you think we're going to get DNA testing?

There have been a number of "media articles" claiming DNA testing of
fish species at markets and sushi restaurants show widespread
mislabeling. It's up to you to determine whether the "media" has any
higher credibility than the "government".

> > I do wonder if chemicals used to
> > fatten up animals and fish can harm humans consuming them?

> Hello, Rip Van Winkle... where have you been the last 25 years?
> All you need to do is notice the statistics about early puberty in
> girls (USA).
>
> Synthetic growth hormones
> Antibiotics
> Steroids

The early puberty trends were in place long before there were any
steroids, antibiotics or hormones available for livestock, and also
shows in other countries where those are not available or used. It's
easy to point a finger there when you want to dislike the US food
system, but early puberty seems more human evolution than anything else.

> The obesity rate can also be attributed, at least partially, to it.

Again, easy to point fingers at what you want to dislike, but the
reality is that obesity is more closely related to increasingly
sedentary lifestyles and increasing lack of cooking and nutrition
education. Home ecc. type classes have been removed from schools just
like shop class has, and the result has been generations of people with
far fewer real-world skills than their parents. This has been great for
the service industry composed of those from third world countries where
practical skills are still taught, but is very bad for the state of the
country overall.