Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Todd Todd is offline

Default Brussels Sprouts and Bratwurst anyone?

On 05/01/2014 01:52 AM, wrote:
> On 4/30/2014 12:53 PM, Todd wrote:
>
>> Since stationed in Germany in the 70's, I haven't
>> been able to stand American Brats. Who/where do you
>> get yours from?

http://www.alpinevillagecenter.com/m...erman-sausage/

I think the problem is that it has to be made fresh.

>> -T
>>
>> Germans had Brat stands outside our bases. Grease
>> and culinary heaven! I think the Brats were made
>> fresh that day. Add a little sauerkraut and that
>> special German mustard, oh my ...
>>
>> "Itsy, bitsy bits of raw garlic or garlic powder"?
>> Tell me it isn't true! There is no such thing as too
>> much Garlic! :-)
>>

> You are right.
> I should have written LOTS OF "itsy, bitsy bits of raw garlic".
>
> Lively group you got here :-(

This group is pretty low volume.

These guys are much more verbose:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/forum7.html

They are Paleo, so not targeted directly at
Diabetics, but a lot of Diabetics are Paloe,
such as myself. It gets you to drug free pretty
quickly.

Here is a famous drug free Diabetic Paleo:
Diabetes Management from a Paleolithic Perspective
http://www.diabetes-warrior.net/

Here is his before and after:
http://www.diabetes-warrior.net/about-me-and-diabetes/

If drugs and carbs are the route you have decided
to go, the American Diabetes Association has
a lively cooking group, but they are way, way too high
carb for me -- I'd start losing body parts!

I love your recipe. Maybe I will try Trader Joe's
Brats again. Stopped last year as the meat tasted
a bit off (rancid) to me. We have a local sausage
factory that does the fresh, but they cram them full
of chemicals -- MSG, Nitrates, etc.. (Paleo's go for
home grown, local grown, organic, and/or as natural
as you can get it without obsessing on it.)

Welcome to the group. Maybe I will see you on the
Paleo groups as well. Let me know if you need to know
the herbs for T2, I have a list. Won't help you
though, if you are not low carb.

-T

Funny story: I washed my Brussels sprouts frying them.
They exploded all over my kitchen! You live and learn!
(You also grab a lid really quickly.)