Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner from the Freezer

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 20:17:23 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> This is why I *love* having a freezer. Dinner tonight was chuck roast
>> with gravy, mashed potatoes, Fordhook lima beans...
>>
>> I cooked the meal months ago. I put the leftovers into divided freezer
>> plates. Tonight I didn't feel like cooking. So I looked in the
>> freezer. Ah, yes, this sounds good. A quick home-cooked meal. Beats
>> the heck out of any store-bought frozen dinner.
>>

> Sorry. Home made or store bought - a premade dinner does not appeal
> to me. Take components from the freezer to make a new dish, okay.
> Take a complete meal out and defrost it, no thanks.

Agree with that on most things. Certainly not a premade TV type dinner.
Although at one point I was forced to take containers of frozen spaghetti to
work for lunch or have no lunch, it's not something I would normally do
willingly. And then a couple of times I froze the hominy croquettes. I
lived alone and the recipe made more than I could eat before they went bad.
I did eat those with a salad though.

I also froze a ton of potstickers but those were eaten with other things.

Currently I have cooked hamburger patties, cooked chicken, the leftover
meatloaf and some Easter pie. None of these things are a complete meal. I
will also freeze leftover taco meat.

But if I were going to eat a TV type dinner, I wouldn't really care where it
came from. Homemade or store bought, both equally unappealing. That being
said, I can't remember the last time I ate such a meal but it was made by
Amy's and it was at the dance studio.

If I don't feel like cooking, I'll have whatever is around that I don't have
to cook. Salad, sandwich, hummus wrap, burrito with canned beans, frozen
White Castles, apple with peanut butter, a can of soup...