Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_15_] dsi1[_15_] is offline

Default If you don't drool over this, you are possibly dead

On 4/22/2014 11:41 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-04-22 5:22 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> This country loves waffles. Unfortunately, you have to eat the things
>> within minutes after it leaves the iron. Most waffles served in the US
>> are just so-so. We order waffles in hopes of getting a great one. Most
>> of the time, it's a disappointment. A lot of people just give up
>> ordering waffles.

> That is why I almost never order them. I have been disappointed too many
> times. I think my wife and I are two of the few people who make our
> own. We make them about once a month on the average. Personally, I
> would just as well make pancakes because they are the same basic
> ingredients and a lot less work, but my wife loves waffles. It is
> probably because she likes butter so much and she can get more butter
> using a waffle as the ingredient than she cane with pancakes.
>
> The only restaurant in the area that serves decent pancakes had a
> serious fire last week and is closed for a while. There is nowhere that
> I would bother to order waffles.
>
> It is a major pet peeve of mine that the restaurants that specialize in
> waffles and pancakes are among the worst places to get them.

Well, the IHOP we have at the mall makes some pretty lousy waffles.
There outta be a law against that.

At various times in my life, I have made waffles. I might be wanting to
have another go at it. I'd like to try waffles leavened with yeast this
time around. It actually makes for a pretty good waffle.

I have had disaster strike places where I discover great eats. Mostly
they fold up the business but one of them got hit with arson and another
got hit with a truck. The truck did relatively minor damage but the
building was a little shack and the spot the truck penetrated was where
the goofy Chinese guy made wonderful roast pork. No more roast pork
after that. Life is like that - one day the sun is shining and the world
is a beautiful place and the next day, there's no more roast pork.