Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default If you don't drool over this, you are possibly dead

On 4/22/2014 3:30 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 14:51:18 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> I love a properly prepared monte cristo sandwich, but this doesn't look
>>> like one. I haven't seen a monte cristo on a menu for decades. )-:
>>>

>> The last one I had was in Paris about 20 years ago. It was very good,
>> and it didn't have icing sugar and jam on top.

> I find it hard to believe that you can get a Monte Cristo sandwich in
> France considering they have the croque monsieur and croque madame.
>
> -sw

A croque monsieur is what the Monte Cristo is based on in North America.
Dave is probably calling it that for the sake of this thread.

A Monte Cristo sandwich is delicious! I first tried one at The Half
Shell in Memphis, TN. Yeah, it was 25 years ago. Ham, turkey,
provolone cheese, bread dipped in batter and deep fried. Such a
sandwich should be a very rare indulgence.

I did have them hold the powdered sugar. They put the strawberry jam in
a souffle cup on the side, just in case. No waffles involved.

Jill