Posted to rec.food.cooking
Cheri[_3_] Cheri[_3_] is offline

Default Easter success and failures?

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 00:29:49 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> > wrote:
>
>>Assuming ( I know) that some of you have family feasts to celebrate this
>>day, what are your grand successes or "never again" ? I did add a little
>>lemon juice, zest and a spoon full of sugar to my waffle recipe and that
>>made them very special. I labored and used every tool in the kitchen to
>>create a lovely strawberry pie. It was lovely - and had the taste of
>>sweet
>>water. Anyone want to confess to a "Quoth the Raven" ? Polly

> This year, for the first time in my life, I made my pie pastry in the
> food processor.
>
> It took 5 seconds to mix up, it rolled out beautifully, and the pies
> tasted like I'd lined the pie plates with cardboard. Never again.
>
> Doris

Did you pulse it in short spurts just until it came together. Ina Garten's
recipe is wonderful, but you do need to follow it closely to have it turn
out light and flaky.

Cheri

Ina's recipe

Ingredients
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) very cold unsalted butter
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1/3 cup very cold vegetable shortening
6 to 8 tablespoons (about 1/2 cup) ice water

Directions

Dice the butter and return it to the refrigerator while you prepare the
flour mixture. Place the flour, salt, and sugar in the bowl of a food
processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse a few times to mix. Add the
butter and shortening. Pulse 8 to 12 times, until the butter is the size of
peas. With the machine running, pour the ice water down the feed tube and
pulse the machine until the dough begins to form a ball. Dump out on a
floured board and roll into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for
30 minutes.

Cut the dough in half. Roll each piece on a well-floured board into a
circle, rolling from the center to the edge, turning and flouring the dough
to make sure it doesn't stick to the board. Fold the dough in half, place in
a pie pan, and unfold to fit the pan. Repeat with the top crust.