Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doris Night Doris Night is offline

Default Easter success and failures?

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 10:58:52 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 21/04/2014 10:31 AM, Doris Night wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 00:29:49 -0500, "Polly Esther"

>> This year, for the first time in my life, I made my pie pastry in the
>> food processor.
>>
>> It took 5 seconds to mix up, it rolled out beautifully, and the pies
>> tasted like I'd lined the pie plates with cardboard. Never again.
>>
>> Doris
>>

>Did you use cake & pastry flour or all purpose? I always use the former
>and have no problems.
>Graham

I used all purpose flour, same as always.

The difference, I think, is that the way I had always made pastry, you
cut the butter/lard into the flour. (Or you can use a cheese grater
and grate frozen butter into the flour.) It doesn't get fully
incorporated, leaving small lumps of fat that will make the pastry
extra-flaky.

I've been making pastry for ~40 years, and this is the first time I've
had an unacceptable product.

Doris