Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Easter success and failures?

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
> Assuming ( I know) that some of you have family feasts to celebrate this
> day, what are your grand successes or "never again" ? I did add a little
> lemon juice, zest and a spoon full of sugar to my waffle recipe and that
> made them very special. I labored and used every tool in the kitchen to
> create a lovely strawberry pie. It was lovely - and had the taste of
> sweet water. Anyone want to confess to a "Quoth the Raven" ? Polly

I don't think I've ever had any Easter failures. Even though I used the
wrong pasta in the Easter pie, everyone loved it and was happy to take home
a pie. Note that we actually celebrated yesterday.

I did have extra Marinara sauce so I bought some pizza crust at Central
Market and some cheese. Costco now sells the Daiya cheese and I can get
three packs of shreds for just slightly more than I pay for one pack
elsewhere. It is packaged as 2 Mozzarella and 1 cheddar. Wish I could get
all cheddar or more cheddar than Mozzarella but... Anyway... Decided to
make 2 pizzas.

Not really a failure but the dough acted weird. I think they had frozen it
at some point. One seemed much colder than the other and hard in the
middle. Took me about an hour of leaving it out for the one to get to the
point of stretching. And it took longer than usual to keep it from
stretching back on itself. I know now that when it does this, you need to
let it rest longer.

The pizzas rose up to somewhat shocking proportions. At the edge, it was
about 2" thick. If I buy this dough again, I'll use one package for 2
pizzas. Mine tastes good. Husband hasn't had his yet. I used lots of
sauce, the Daiya cheese and pinenuts on mine. And some whole Greek Oregano.
Husband's has a blend of Italian cheeses and pepperoni.