Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] spamtrap1888@gmail.com is offline

Default Babka -- Is nothing sacred?

On Saturday, April 19, 2014 3:02:44 PM UTC-7, notbob wrote:
> On 2014-04-19, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>

> > Growing up, my grandmother made a wonderful traditional babka with a
> > crumb topping. Lots of eggs, golden raisins.....

> Cough it up, Ed!!
>
> If there's two things I love, it's eggs and golden raisins. Yet, I've
> never heard of babka or anything combining those two ingredients.
> What is it? Sounds Jewish, but despite always intrigued by Jewish
> cuisine, I've never heard of it.

Jews did live, more or less harmoniously, in Poland for hundreds of
years, and share a lot of food names, such as kishke or krupnik. But the
names may not be describing the same dish. The Polish kishke contains
blood as well as buckwheat groats.

Babka is Polish for grandmother. It shares a root with the Yiddish bubbeh.

For interest, zeyde is tied even more closely to the Polish for
grandfather, dziadek.

Robert Strybel is pretty reliable on Polish recipes. This babka has eggs
and (possibly golden) raisins.

http://www.food.com/recipe/polish-ba...ad-easy-267033