Posted to rec.food.cooking
Travis McGee Travis McGee is offline

Default Flour vs. cornstarch?

On 4/9/2014 7:33 PM, wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 7:10:00 PM UTC-4, Travis McGee wrote:
>>
>> I don't know this for a fact, but I was told that cornstarch does not
>>
>> need to be cooked after it thickens, whereas flour does, to make it
>>
>> digestible.

> Well, in the eggless chocolate pudding recipe that I always use (with cornstarch), it says that once the pudding has thickened, you're supposed to cook it for another 15 minutes to get rid of any chalky taste.
>
> BTW, once it's done, one can put a small amount of that pudding in the freezer, in a bowl, for two hours - by then, it's not quite hard and it's about as good as ice cream. (I never understand why almost all ice-cream recipes call for an ice-cream maker!)
>

> Lenona.

I think it was Mom who told me about the difference, so it was a long
time ago from a cook from another era. However, I did just find this:
http://www.cheftalk.com/t/15684/flour-vs-cornstarch

The "ice cream" idea sounds good, although I am not partial to
chocolate. I may try it with vanilla pudding, though.