Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: Rhone, Burgundy (proper) and Beaujolais

Wednesday was pork chops with spinach, ropot vegetables, and the 2005 Billards St. Amour. I was NOT a fan on opening - tight, tart, and short. I debated opening something else, decided to suffer through it. Hey, no suffering required! By dinner it seemed a pleasant rather full-bodied Beaujolais, but where it really shone was the glass that I nursed after dinner. With a lot of air this was an intriguing wine - full black cherry fruit, orange rind, smoke, earth. Excellent length, full and supple. C+ on opening, B+/A- later.

With grilled salmon, asparagus, squash, and barley., the 2004 Groffier Bourgogne. So the good news is no Greenie Meanies. But this was PN from anywhere- ripe, some vanilla/oak, juicy, but not a lot of there there. B-

with herbed flank steak, incredible cauliflower steaks with cauliflower puree, and salad
Wine was the 2012 Barou "Un Autre Monde" St Joseph. Dark berry fruit, medium acids, some tannin. Perfectly pleasant, but I think I liked their VdP Syrah as much. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.