W ä l r ü s

Default Can you rate this recipe?

Thanks, I will give it a try & post the results. Anything here look like
it could create anything dangerous? Poisons, toxins, etc.....?

I am highly allergic to any form of mold & blue food dyes #3, 5 & lake blue#
40. I know none of these have blue dye, except maybe some of the
pre-packaged blueberry juices.

"William Frazier" > wrote in message

> W ä l r ü s wrote
> > Can anyone see if this recipe looks OK? It's a natural "old style"

> recipe.
> > 128 Oz - Any "red" juice (Grape, blackberry, raspberry, blueberry,
> > etc......).
> > 3-1/2C - Sugar.
> > Pinch - Baker's Yeast (Converts to about 14% alcohol).
> > 2 Tsp - Lemon Juice (In place of Citric acid).
> > 1 Tsp - Cream of tartar (In place of Tartaric acid).
> > 1 Slice - Apple (In place of Malic acid).
> > 1/8 Cup - Pureed Raisins (In place of Nutrient).
> > Tea - From one tea bag (In place of Tannins).

> Walrus - From your post I know you don't want to buy winemaking equipment

at
> this time. But, you really should buy a hydrometer. Ask the people at

the
> wine/beer making shop how to use it. I suggest this because your recipe,

as
> given above, will make a very alcoholic wine if it ferments to completion.
> If the yeast poops out the wine might end up very sweet.
>
> A good starting specific gravity for a wine is around 1.090. The gallon

of
> juice you will use contains sugar...different juices contain different
> amounts. The 3.5 cups sugar alone will give you a specific gravity arount
> 1.081. So, the sugar, sweet juice, raisins (lots of sugar there) will

make
> a very sweet starting must.
>
> If you buy a hydrometer you can measure the specific gravity of the juice
> and add sugar until the specific gravity rises to 1.090. A much better
> starting situation.
>
> If it were me I would leave the lemon juice, cream of tartar and apple

slice
> out. Since you won't know the starting acid and pH of your must without
> additional equipment adding these things is just a shot in the dark and

they