Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] silverbeetle@charter.net is offline

Default Do you have a favorite breakfast sausage?

On Tuesday, March 11, 2014 5:26:15 PM UTC-4, l not -l wrote:

> What pork breakfast sausage flavors do you like? Don't like?

I made a discovery this past week.

I had bought a shoulder, butt portion, to use for various things. I ground some of it up for meatloaf and ended up with more than I needed, so I took the bit that was left and combined it with some of the mysterious spice mixture I bought in Russia (which I posted about some time ago:
<http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa407/Silvar_Beitel/RFC/IMG_0740_zps692f3863.jpg>

Cooked it for breakfast the next day and it was so good, I ground up most of the rest of the butt and used up most of the seasoning I had left to make a bunch of patties, which are now sitting in my freezer.

So, what is/was this mysterious spice mix? After sniffing around my spice cabinet, I discovered that the closest thing to it was my homemade garam masala, which IIRC is taken right out of Julie Sahni. Maybe with some of the other spices one finds in many Indian foods. Not quite the same, but definitely in the same direction. Something along the lines of this: http://indianfood.about.com/od/masal...arammasala.htm, which is heavy on coriander seed like my Russian stuff seems to be.

So if you want to try something different, grind up some fatty pork and add some coriander, cumin, salt, red and black pepper and your favorite garam masala. It's my new favorite breakfast sausage.

--
Silvar Beitel