Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

Default What exactly is 'home made'?

On 2014-02-28 21:55:25 +0000, sf said:

> On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 13:04:06 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> > wrote:
>
>> I think that in the case of a resto, 'homemade' means it isn't just a
>> Sysco special to be dipped in boiling water. Implies the on prem
>> cook's own recipe too.

> I haven't seen "home made" used on a menu. Maybe chain restaurants do
> that, I dunno... but restaurants around here use the term "house made"
> when they are touting something special, like dessert pastries or ice
> cream - which are often purchased from a vendor of some sort. House
> made implies they made it "in-house".

Good point. I do see "home made" in places that what to make it sound
more "homey". I've always snorted at it, but hadn't previously thought
it was a counter to a Sysco object. I'm not sure how many places I
actually go to that are Sysco type joints. We rarely go to chains of
any kind whatever: They're just so many mom-and-pop or regional
operations that only have 2 or 3 restaurants. It is, of course, always
assumed that everything they make is "house made".