rick etter

Default Wow, haven't been around here for a while

"Mike Charlton" > wrote in message
news
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 16:11:42 +0000, rick etter wrote:
>
> > "Mike Charlton" > wrote in message
> > news
> >> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 04:10:28 +0000, rick etter wrote:

> > I've never told anybody what they have to eat. I point out the

ignorance of
> > their universal claim about veganism. That they refuse to accept the

fact
> > that their diet is not the panacea they like to believe is part of their
> > religious brainwashing.

> You do have at least *some* evidence that there are people who prefer not
> to eat meat, but don't believe veganism is a panacea. If I haven't
> convinced you of that, then you're not really listening. In fact, I could
> add more weight to your argument that mindlessly following a particular
> doctrine can lead to bad things. But I'm not really in the mood to start
> more arguments today.
>
> > LOL Loss of habitat due to pastures being fenced? What a hoot!!

You're
> > really stretching now. Graze areas are not 'lost habitat'. Wild

ruminants
> [...]

> > thread, that seem to be favored by vegans without even making any reply
> > about it?

> Hmm... It's strange, I seem to be missing one of my posts. It's possible
> that I accidently didn't send it. In my post I agreed with you. Most
> vegans eat too many non-local foods. I mentioned one way of vegan eating
> called shoujin riori (it's a japanese buddist tradition) where they only
> eat local produce that's in season. I'm looking into it, but the going is
> slow (my Japanese is quite poor). I'm curious to see how they manage in
> the winter.
>
> > Too close to home? That why the sudden concentration on soy
> > products?

> Actually, I don't eat very much soy. I occasionally make my own tofu,
> which I tend to eat with just a bit of shoyu (soy sauce). I then take
> the okara (pulp from the tofu making process) and use it for soy/oat
> burgers and as a thickener in stews. But generally, I like other legumes
> (black beans especially). I also eat a lot of grains (wheat, oats, corn
> and some rice).
>
> However, since many people equate tofu with "meat substitute", I thought
> I'd use that. I certainly don't use it that way (well, except if I make
> my braised tofu, but that's a very rare exception). One reason I don't
> eat tofu very often is that it's 50% calories from fat. It's hardly
> a health food :-). The okara is pretty good for you, though.

> > cause

> > you

> > and

> > positive

> > generalizations?
> >>
> >> Actually, I keep getting this impression as well. Perhaps it's just
> >> the wording you're using. Perhaps you could a more neutral way to get
> >> your point across. So far I've seen you make blanket statements that
> >> vegans are liars and that they have simple minds.

> > ======================
> > Yes, they seem to be. Did you see the poster I was talking about in
> > other thread? Claims that "no" pesticides are allowed in organic
> > farming. That has to be beyond ignorance and into direct, deliberate
> > lying.

> Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by
> incompetance. Pesticides are very common in organic farming. As
> are animal based fertilizers. I don't reckon that most vegans
> think about that much. I'm really not sure how you would grow a lot
> of the heavy feeding plants without bloodmeal, bonemeal and fish
> emulsion. I would say that like most people in the western world, vegans
> are generally clueless about farming practices.
>
> It may be the case that the majority of vegans aren't really eating a
> vegan diet. I think that's a bit sad. If they could be properly educated
> they could potentially start adressing some of the other important
> problems. As it stands many vegans prefer to stay blissfully ignorant.
> It is unfortunate, but luckily not everyone feels this way.

========================
Part of the point is even *if* they are eating a vegan diet, that in itself
means almost nothing compared to the rest of their lifestyle. I say they
wish to remain terminally ignorant. Even after being told about the rest of
their lives, it's only their diet that really matters.

> > Every one of them here has claimed that their diet is somehow
> > cruelty-free, or the 'most' cruelty-free. They've never been able to
> > back up their lies, er claims, and it is too easy to show them wrong.

> I'm really trying not to criticize here, but you don't show much tolerance
> in listening to the people you are talking to. You seem to assume that
> everyone has the same point of view and disregard anything anyone says
> that doesn't fit your predisposition. I know several vegans who
> make no such claim. I suppose YMMV, but if you gave people a chance
> now and again, you might be surprised.
>
> > Do you mean all vegans, or
> >> just some vegans? I'm sure we can all agree on the latter, just as we
> >> can agree that some meat eaters are liars and that some of them have
> >> simple minds.

> > ====================
> > Again, as I have said before, I'm talking about the vegans I have met on
> > usenet. A "real" vegan would not be here on usenet. I haven't changed
> > my mind yet....

> I'm not sure what "real" means, but I take heart in your use of the word
> "yet".

====================
One that actually believes in veganism, and *lives* their lives that way.
If you're here on usenet, you not a vegan, period. Veganism is not a diet.

As I've said repeatedly, I think that the essence of your message
> is very valuable. I'm willing to bet that many vegans don't consider
> all the ways they interact or harm other animals or the environment.

====================
Here on usenet, that number is almost zero. Try going back in the archives
and reading some of the stupidity that has always been part of their simple
rule for their simple minds.

> Encouraging people to look at these issues is a good thing to do. It
> would be nice, though, if you could be a little less intolerant. I, for
> one, am trying to work through a lot of what you are saying, but it's
> very difficult to do so when you are constantly being so agressive about
> it.

================
You want aggressive? Where have I ever wished someone to die? Where have I
ever gleefully posted items about someone dying? Those are standard
stock-n-trade posts for the *compassionate* vegans. I'm can be abrasive,
yes I admit that. I can be resonable when someone starts out being
reasonable. Reread my first replies to you. They were quite calm and
reasonable. You complained that when i discussed what I have seen from
vegans here on usenet, because apparently you saw too much of yourself in
those desxcriptions I guess. I never said anything about you at all in
those posts that I remember.

> I suppose there's no reason for you to help me with any of this stuff. I
> got the impression that you actually wanted to. Personally, I don't
> believe you are here just so that you can get into arguments.
> You put far too much effort into it for that. I think deep down you
> really want to help make the world a better place. I could be wrong.
>
> My invitation to help me still stands. I would like to have some concept
> of how many animals are killed in farming. I seem to have deleted the
> part where you say it's unfair of me to ask that of you. Well, if you
> don't want to quantify that, I'm not going to force you. But don't you
> think you would have a *much* more effective argument if you actually knew
> the number? Right now you are just assuming that the number is big. I
> suspect you are right, but as it stands you have absolutely no idea if
> you are right or wrong.

I far more right than the vegans claim that I am posting in reply to. The
original claims are by vegans. That their diet causes no death and
suffering, or that their diet causes less death and suffering. They make
these claims categorically about "any" vegan diet compared to "any" meat
included diet. Again, I have no need to provide the 'actual' numbers, but I
have provided proof that the death and suffering of animals occurs in large
numbers for a vegans diet.