Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default "10 house rules for successful dining with kids"

http://thestir.cafemom.com/food_part...30/lzdakIX97os

>>> By Julie Ryan Evans.
>>>
>>> First three paragraphs:
>>>
>>> "Here we go again with the child-adverse masses out to squelch any
>>> sign or
>>> sound of youth from their daily lives. Cappy's Pizza in Florida is the
>>> latest
>>> establishment to jump on the bandwagon by officially banning rowdy
>>> kids with
>>> a ridiculously patronizing sign right when you walk in the door.
>>> "It reads: 'Parents for the safety and comfort of everyone if you
>>> allow your
>>> child to run/scream/or misbehave, party will be asked to leave.'
>>> Kids are completely banned from the back patio. Talk about giving a
>>> parent
>>> indigestion before she's even ordered. If I saw a sign like that when
>>> I walked
>>> into a restaurant -- especially a pizzeria decked out with video games
>>> and
>>> other stuff that caters to kids -- I'd be walking right back out again.
>>>

>> (snippety)
>>
>> I'd be glad to see her back as she left the establishment! I'm not
>> adverse to children. But is it really asking too much for children to
>> behave?

> You'd think that she'd wonder Why are these restaurants resorting
> to policies like this? Better yet, This sign doesn't affect me
> because my children were taught how to act in a restaurant, and
> if they start making a scene/screaming, we leave anyway.
>
> Instead she lashes out that people don't like children.

Seems it's easier to lash out at the restaurants (and patrons) who don't
want to put up with ill-behaved children than to ask them to behave in
public.

> I've eaten in restaurants many times where there were plenty of
> children but you wouldn't know it unless you looked around or
> listened for little voices. Maybe sometimes a little crying,
> like just the other day, but the parents don't let it go on and
> escalate until everyone's annoyed.

Children cry. Ever think it might not be a good idea to take the kid to
a restaurant if he/she hasn't had a nap that afternoon? Tired/bored =
cranky. There's a reason there was nap time when we were in
Kindergarten.

> Obviously plenty of people are able to teach their children how
> to act in public, it's not impossible.
>
> nancy

It's certainly not impossible. It would never have occurred to us to
run rampant wreaking havoc in a restaurant. There are a lot of well
behaved children. It's the ones whose parents have absolutely no
control who seem to be astonished when a restaurant expects them to
<gasp> take responsibility.

Jill