Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default Favorite seafood other than fish?

On 3 Aug 2004 16:15:26 -0500, "Bob" >
wrote:

>Kate wrote:
>
>> The closest I have ever come to eating a mollusc was
>> my grandmother's oyster stew. I would eat the broth
>> but not the oysters. The flavor wasn't bad. It's mainly
>> a texture thing with me.

>Well then, maybe you'd like this, since the oysters are pureed:
>
>Good Eats Oyster Soup (from the Good Eats TV show, obviously)
>
>4 cups heavy cream
>1 pint oysters and liquor, separated
>1 tablespoon unsalted butter
>1/2 cup finely chopped celery
>1/2 cup finely chopped onion
>1 teaspoon celery seed
>1 1/2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
>1 tablespoon lemon juice
>2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley leaves, chervil, or chives
>Salt and pepper
>
>In a heavy 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, bring the heavy cream and
>oyster liquor from the oysters to a simmer. Remove from the heat.
>
>Meanwhile, in a large saute pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the
>celery and a pinch of the salt and sweat for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the onion
>and continue cooking until translucent, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add celery
>seed, hot pepper sauce, and oysters and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until
>the edges of the oysters start to curl.
>
>Transfer the oysters to the carafe of a blender and add enough of the cream
>just to cover.* Puree until the mixture is smooth. Return the remaining
>cream to medium heat, add the pureed mixture, and cook until heated through.
>
>Just before serving, add the lemon juice, chopped herbs, and season with
>salt and pepper, to taste.
>
>*When blending hot liquids: Remove liquid from the heat and allow to cool
>for at least 5 minutes. Transfer liquid to a blender or food processor and
>fill it no more than halfway. If using a blender, release one corner of the
>lid. This prevents the vacuum effect that creates heat explosions. Place a
>towel over the top of the machine, pulse a few times then process on high
>speed until smooth.
>

>Bob

That is an interesting suggestion. I never heard of such a thing. But,
even if you will puree them, It will, I am absolutely sure, come out
better if you shuck the live oysters just before you make the soup.

That also lets you choose the oysters.

I know that Woody Allen wants his food dead, but in this instance I
take exception, much as I respect his judgement otherwise.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

"We have achieved the inversion of the single note."
__ Peter Ustinov as Karlheinz Stckhausen