Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_15_] dsi1[_15_] is offline

Default Cornbread etc

On 1/21/2014 7:31 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>> sf wrote:
>>
>>> I would think that self-rising whatever is for non-bakers, not for
>>> bakers. JMO
>>>

>> I think self-rising flour is made from soft wheat -- more like cake
>> flour. They know yur not going to be baking yeasted bread with it, so
>> it's optimized for quick breads.

> It is indeed
>

>> It is handy if you need to mix up a mess of biscuits or pancakes in a
>> hurry, and you can bake without measuring. (it's cheaper than
>> Bisquick) My mom can do that, and I used to could but am out of practice.

> Is self raising flour the same as Bisquick?

Bisquick is flour and a leavening agent with the addition of oil. You
could say it was self-rising flour and oil. The whole idea of the
product is that you can create biscuit dough in seconds by simply adding
milk. It's kind of a neat product and my guess is that you could make
practically any kind of baked goods that uses these ingredients which
would be pretty much everything from cookies and cakes. You could
probably make spotted dick out of Bisquick. Brilliant!