Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Cornbread etc

On 1/21/2014 12:30 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Some popular, non-baking uses of cornmeal a
>>> - crust for fried fish, especially catfish
>>> - hush puppies; fried balls of cornmeal, flour, buttermilk, small-diced
>>> onion - generally served with fried fish.
>>> - coating for onion rings; batter coated and fried
>>> - hoe/griddle cakes; like US pancakes only with cornmeal, instead of or
>>> along with wheat flour.
>>> - grits (coarse cornmeal); similar to polenta
>>> - coating for fried green tomatoes
>>>
>>> A few example recipes follow:
>>>
>>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>>
>>> E. Walker's Cornmeal Griddle Cakes
>>>
>>> Recipe By :
>>> Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
>>> Categories :
>>>
>>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>>> 1 cup cornmeal
>>> 2 teaspoons shortening -- 1-3 teaspoons
>>> 3/4 cup hot water -- just off the boil
>>> 1 whole egg -- slightly beaten
>>> 1 teaspoon salt
>>> 2 teaspoons baking powder
>>> 1 cup milk -- whole milk works best
>>>
>>> Mix the shortening and the cornmeal, pour in the hot water. Mix till
>>> meal is
>>> in a ball. Mix in egg. Add salt and baking powder. Mix in milk about
>>> a half
>>> cup at a time. Batter should be very thin. Cook on high heat of
>>> griddle or
>>> waffle iron with griddle surfaces.
>>>
>>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>>> - - -
>>>
>>> Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 202 Calories; 6g Fat (26.8%
>>> calories
>>> from fat); 7g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 61mg
>>> Cholesterol;
>>> 826mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat
>>> Milk;
>>> 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
>>>
>>> NOTES : E Walker was Boli's (from rec.food.cooking newsgroup)
>>> grandmother,
>>> and the recipe has been passed down through several generations.
>>>

>> (snippage)
>>
>> I have made those griddle cakes several times. They're quite tasty!
>> (You can find it along with other recipes on the rfc certified
>> unofficial site.) I make them the size of "silver dollar" pancakes on
>> a cast iron griddle. Boli and I used to debate about white vs. yellow
>> cornmeal. He preferred white cornmeal, I've always preferred yellow.
>> RIP, Phil. And thanks for the recipe!

> Oh you've really confuddled me now!!!! White???
>
> <g>

It's a cultural thing. White cornmeal is ground from white corn
(further up north, yet Virginia was still a Southern state.) Yellow
cornmeal is ground from yellow corn. I prefer the yellow. It tastes
more "corny". The results are about the same no matter which. It's
mostly a visual difference.

Jill