Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Cornbread etc

On 1/21/2014 11:35 AM, l not -l wrote:
> On 21-Jan-2014, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> If you don't bake, what do you use it for?

> Some popular, non-baking uses of cornmeal a
> - crust for fried fish, especially catfish
> - hush puppies; fried balls of cornmeal, flour, buttermilk, small-diced
> onion - generally served with fried fish.
> - coating for onion rings; batter coated and fried
> - hoe/griddle cakes; like US pancakes only with cornmeal, instead of or
> along with wheat flour.
> - grits (coarse cornmeal); similar to polenta
> - coating for fried green tomatoes
>
> A few example recipes follow:
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> E. Walker's Cornmeal Griddle Cakes
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories :

> 1 cup cornmeal
> 2 teaspoons shortening -- 1-3 teaspoons
> 3/4 cup hot water -- just off the boil
> 1 whole egg -- slightly beaten
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 2 teaspoons baking powder
> 1 cup milk -- whole milk works best
>
> Mix the shortening and the cornmeal, pour in the hot water. Mix till meal is
> in a ball. Mix in egg. Add salt and baking powder. Mix in milk about a half
> cup at a time. Batter should be very thin. Cook on high heat of griddle or
> waffle iron with griddle surfaces.
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 202 Calories; 6g Fat (26.8% calories
> from fat); 7g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 61mg Cholesterol;
> 826mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk;
> 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
>
> NOTES : E Walker was Boli's (from rec.food.cooking newsgroup) grandmother,
> and the recipe has been passed down through several generations.

(snippage)

I have made those griddle cakes several times. They're quite tasty!
(You can find it along with other recipes on the rfc certified
unofficial site.) I make them the size of "silver dollar" pancakes on a
cast iron griddle. Boli and I used to debate about white vs. yellow
cornmeal. He preferred white cornmeal, I've always preferred yellow.
RIP, Phil. And thanks for the recipe!

Jill