Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cornbread etc

In article >,
Ophelia > wrote:

>"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
. ..
>> In article >,

>>>If you don't bake, what do you use it for?

>> I can't speak for itsjoannotjoann. I'm not a baker, but I do bake
>> occasionally. Just couple of months ago, I made U.S. biscuits. Perhaps
>> I'll do it again next month.

>With cornmeal? I am collecting recipes because it is so new, so please
>would you share?

No, not with cornmeal. They are basically an unsweetened scone.

This is similar to my recipe (although I seem to recall 6-8 tablespoons
of shortening):

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/moms-ba...wder-biscuits/

I use butter to make them short, rather than partially hydrogenated
vegetable shortening, which is what most people (Hi, Bryan!) think
of when they see the word "shortening".

Although I really think it's all about the technique. I barely
mix them; there's still plenty of butter lumps when I roll them
out. I'm pretty sure you could use self-raising flour, butter,
and milk and get good results. There are several videos on
youtube.

We like them with jam. My husband likes them with butter as well
(really, his fondness for dietary fats knows no bounds). Last time
we ladled chicken stew over them.

Cindy Hamilton