Joe Sallustio

Default Small Oak Barrels - opinions

Roger,
I got a 20L as a gift and intend to use it, but it would not have been
my choice for the reasons others stated. Mine is untoasted too, I
would prefer at least a medium toast.

I was thinking of using the 12.7 gallon Hungarian before I got this, I
would have gone for that or a 30 gallon if I were buying one. 50
gallons is too much wine for us, it's not practical to my situation.

I will let you know how this little one works out. It will take a
while, it's dry right now. I intend to cycle several wines through it
and keep it wet with wine year round if possible. I'm probably going
to ferment a white in it to rip out some of the initial oak, then
cycle the reds through. If the white is too oaky it won't be an issue,
I'll blend it with others if need be.

Joe

http://www.1000oaksbarrel.com/index.html