Posted to rec.food.cooking
Alan Holbrook[_5_] Alan Holbrook[_5_] is offline

Default False conceptions of what other countries eat.

"Ophelia" > wrote in
:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
>> I've also had it drilled into me that British food is bland and
>> boring. And yet, I used to watch The Two Fat Ladies and the food that
>> they made was not that at all. In fact any of their recipes that I
>> tried were quite good.

> I know, I get that here all the time) I can assure you that my food
> is neither bland nor boring and I don't need to use a load of spice to
> make them interesting. I think that is more about what one is used
> to. Our eldest granddaughter's other grandparents and family are
> American and she spends a lot of time there with them too, but she
> still loves my cooking and always has requests when she visits)

I was about to post how I had the same preconceived notion about British
food until I actually got to London on business and the local office folk
took me to a restaurant in Kew Garden call Jasper's Bun in the Oven. A
very enjoyable experience. I googled Jasper's and discovered that it had
been sold to a multinational, to the detriment of the food quality, I'm
sure.

And I'm also sure that anyone who thinks the British only like bland
cooking aren't aware of the national obsession for Indian and Indonesian
fare. The people in the Bristol office had a rite of passage for all
American visitors from headquarters that involved being taken to lunch at
an Indonesian place and fed something that had the word 'Dragon' in the
title. The title was well deserved...