katie

Default again with the not being nice...

"rick etter" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "katie" > wrote in message
> t.cable.rogers.com...
> > > I have learned that vegIns not only won't encourage
> > > consumption of meat which involves fewer deaths than some veg
> > > products, but they often very strongly *oppose* anyone else who
> > > does encourage it.
> > >

> > you know what drives me nuts on this board? other than all the

negativity
> > and namecalling that mike charlton is talking about, that is. the
> > generalizations. all this 'all vegans' this and that. we aren't a

bloody
> > cult, we are each individuals with our own ideas and lifestyles. i for

> one
> > encourage meat eaters to eat organic, grass-fed, free-range animal

> products.
> > it's silly to try to force a hard-core steak-lover to give up everything
> > they're attached to and pick up a slab o' tofu. obviously wasted effort

> and
> > doomed to failure. so i'd say hey, here's how you can lessen your

impact
> on
> > animals and the earth.

> ====================
> That also a way for *you* to lesson your impact on animals and the earth.

> 'slab o' tofu' is not as animal friendly, nor as environmentally sound as
> grazed meats.
> See the point? Nah, I'm sure you don't....

i do see the point. but i'm still not going to eat any of that crap. i've
had such awesome health improvements from giving up each of these products
that there's no way i'd go back to them. because aside from thinking that
animals should be treated as an end in themselves, not just a means to an
end, there are other reasons why i eat the way i do, and not just the 'no
meat' rule either. i'm just going to try to grow as much of my own food as
i can, buy organic and local when i can't, minimize my grain & soy intakes
(which will have the bonus of increasing my veggie intake, kinda forces me
to eat healthier and less processed!), and live with the least impact
possible in terms of my mode of transport (no car), the work i do (purposely
seeking out employment where i can have a positive impact), the products i
purchase, and trying to reduce first, reuse second and recycle like a pro.
and when i'm actually living on my own, i'll have even more ability to do
that stuff. (and when i have enough income, i can buy an environmentally
friendly computer!) maybe i'll even get to build my own off-grid house.
i'm just not going to buy some big house in the burbs and drive a suv and
eat kfc and watch satellite like a ****ing picket-fence 9-5 2.5 kids zombie.
my worst nightmare...*shudder*

> always going for a more sustainable way of doing
> > things. some folks like to blindly follow dogmas,

> ====================
> Yep, vegans do seem to like following that simple rule for their simple
> minds, 'eat no meat.'

but there are lots of reasons behind what they eat. like health. plus
let's not forget the not buying animal tested stuff rule. i sure as hell
don't need to buy shampoo that's been sprayed in some rabbit's eyes to know
not to rub it into my own eyes. plus the not wearing leather rule. which i
think can be a good thing, as long as you don't replace super-polluting
leather with super-polluting sythetics. i'd say that a nice non-sweatshop
hemp sneaker would be an ideal substitute. because i know some vegans would
lynch me for this, but if i have a choice between a cheap synthetic piece of
crap made under questionable circumstances in china, or a high-quality
last-a-long-time ethically made leather shoe, i'd go for the leather. but
that's because i think with my own brain, rather than following this 'vegan
dogma' that you seem to think all vegans follow like zombies. what's with
the all vegans have simple minds thing? seriously, that's the kind of
not-nice generalization that i'm talking about.

> whether they are vegan or
> > any other ways of thinking. but that's just a kind of person; just

cause
> > you've run across some vegans who don't think critically, doesn't mean

you
> > should put us all in the same box. you seem to have some interesting

and
> > valuable stuff to contribute here, why not try to contribute in a

positive
> > way and try not to alienate folks with the 'evil vegans'

generalizations?
> Ummm, I haven't seen anybody post that statement. You have a guilty
> conscience or somthing?

hell no. just seems to be a lot of anti-vegan sentiment going around,
that's all. and i tend to use the word 'evil' lightly : )