webkatz

Default Ha, I just found out who invented the briquette

Dave Bugg wrote:

> Eddie wrote:
>
>>Watching the food channel tonight where Q'n was being featured. Had a
>>great segment on how Kingsford was made.
>>So guess who invented the briquette?
>>Henry Ford, with a little help from a friend named Thomas Edison.

> I also loved seeing the production process. They use shredded *fir* and
> *cedar* wood, along with some alder. It's then run through, on a conveyor,
> through a huge retort that "toasts" the shreds at 600F. Then coal is
> added -- about a third of the mixture -- then the mash is compressed into
> briquettes and put under heat to dry out the moisture. Funny, they forgot
> to mention the starches and other materials that are also added, but they
> sure seemed proud of the amount of bituminous coal added.
>
> Yummmmm.
>
> Think I'll stick to hardwood lump and wood.

After using lump for several years I've been trying the Royal Oak
briquettes. According to my dealer, they have 2 lines of business - lump
charcoal (good stuff in it's own right) and using a steam press to turn
the leftover/undersized lump into briquettes (no coal, no paraffin, no
sawdust).

So far I'm pretty pleased with them. They seem a little bigger than your
Kingsford variety, smell like lump when burning, hold a nice constant
heat for a long time, and burn down to almost nothing.

Anybody else using this?

Dave