Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Bjørn Steensrud Bjørn Steensrud is offline

Default What's for Christmas Dinner?

W. Baker wrote:

> Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
> : W. Baker wrote:
> : >
> : > : Pinnekj?tt http://www.matsiden.no/artikkel_head.asp?a_id=446
> : > : Skip the text, just see the picture. Salted, dried lamb ribs-
> : > : then soaked for a day or so. Steamed, not boiled, although it could
> : > : be just boiled if it hasn't been soaked to get out (most of) the
> : > : salt. Mashed rutabaga/kohlrabi is always on the side, potatoes for
> : > : those who can eat them (not me). Was introduced to it by my
> : > : mother-in-law about 46 years ago and had it for Christmas ever
> : > : since, except for one turkey dinner in the US :-)
> : > Personally,I never particularly like rutabega. My question is, we
> : > sometimes call them Swedes in the US. How come they are also eaten in
> : > Norway:-)
>
> : We also eat Berlinerkranser (small cookies) - Wienerbr?d, which you call
> : Danish for about the same reason: introduced in Denmark by Austrian
> : pastry chefs :-)
>

> I like the international or at least inte-European flavor to those
> things:-)
> aren't Berliner Krantz the little round cookies with , wht looks like a
> girls hat in frosting on top? Kid of white wit blue streamers?

Our version is a cookie formed into a Q- or omega-shape - no frosting.

> :
> : > Also, any sauce with those lamb ribs or just plain, salty steamed?
>
> : Just plain. Some of the - I lack the word - the fluid in the bottom of
> : the pan is often served as a sauce.
>
> Pan juices would work. Do you add any herbs or other flavorings to this
> besides all that salt in the lamb ribs?

Thanks, both of you - no, maybe some preserved pumpkin (diced, boiled with a
little vinegar and a piece of ginger. Always homemade, never saw it in
stores)

14:00 - down to check on the steaming of the pinnekjøtt. Grandchildren and
other guests have had the traditional "rice pudding" risgrøt, with raspberry
juice drink, Ronja got the almond. I tested before eating, 7.2 - oops.
Better build a salad instead. The rice would have sent it sky high.