Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default What's for Christmas Dinner?

Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
: W. Baker wrote:
: >
: > : Pinnekj?tt http://www.matsiden.no/artikkel_head.asp?a_id=446
: > : Skip the text, just see the picture. Salted, dried lamb ribs-
: > : then soaked for a day or so. Steamed, not boiled, although it could be
: > : just boiled if it hasn't been soaked to get out (most of) the salt.
: > : Mashed rutabaga/kohlrabi is always on the side, potatoes for those who
: > : can eat them (not me). Was introduced to it by my mother-in-law about 46
: > : years ago and had it for Christmas ever since, except for one turkey
: > : dinner in the US :-)
: > Personally,I never particularly like rutabega. My question is, we
: > sometimes call them Swedes in the US. How come they are also eaten in
: > Norway:-)

: We also eat Berlinerkranser (small cookies) - Wienerbr?d, which you call
: Danish for about the same reason: introduced in Denmark by Austrian pastry
: chefs :-)

I like the international or at least inte-European flavor to those
things:-)
aren't Berliner Krantz the little round cookies with , wht looks like a
girls hat in frosting on top? Kid of white wit blue streamers?

I di dnot know about the Danish pastry, which I used to enjoy when well
made. I tried it once, and what a pain withall the rolling, folding ,
refrigeratinge, rollings, adding butter, folding, etc until it is all
wonderful flakes. I did not know it came form austrian bakers, but I do
know that Austirian bakers can make remarkable pastres which I can't
eat:-(

: K?lrabi has been grown here forever -"the orange of the North" because of
: its Vitamin C content.

: Some dialects name the bird Carduelis chloris a Swede :-)
:
: > Also, any sauce with those lamb ribs or just plain, salty steamed?

: Just plain. Some of the - I lack the word - the fluid in the bottom of the
: pan is often served as a sauce.

Pan juices would work. Do you add any herbs or other flavorings to this
besides all that salt in the lamb ribs?

Wendy