Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Bjørn Steensrud Bjørn Steensrud is offline

Default What's for Christmas Dinner?

W. Baker wrote:

> Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
> : Todd wrote:
>
> : > Hi All,
> : >
> : > What are you cooking for Christmas dinner? I haven't
> : > decided yet and would love to know what you guys
> : > are making!
> : >
> : > -T
>
> : Pinnekj?tt http://www.matsiden.no/artikkel_head.asp?a_id=446
> : Skip the text, just see the picture. Salted, dried lamb ribs-
> : then soaked for a day or so. Steamed, not boiled, although it could be
> : just boiled if it hasn't been soaked to get out (most of) the salt.
> : Mashed rutabaga/kohlrabi is always on the side, potatoes for those who
> : can eat them (not me). Was introduced to it by my mother-in-law about 46
> : years ago and had it for Christmas ever since, except for one turkey
> : dinner in the US :-)
> Personally,I never particularly like rutabega. My question is, we
> sometimes call them Swedes in the US. How come they are also eaten in
> Norway:-)

We also eat Berlinerkranser (small cookies) - Wienerbrød, which you call
Danish for about the same reason: introduced in Denmark by Austrian pastry
chefs :-)

Kålrabi has been grown here forever -"the orange of the North" because of
its Vitamin C content.

Some dialects name the bird Carduelis chloris a Swede :-)

> Also, any sauce with those lamb ribs or just plain, salty steamed?

Just plain. Some of the - I lack the word - the fluid in the bottom of the
pan is often served as a sauce.