Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Are some microwaves better for popcorn?

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. 190.14...
> On Sun 15 Dec 2013 05:14:28a, Julie Bove told us...
>
>> I tried the lemon popcorn again and although the end result tastes
>> wonderful, there was a problem. I had to stop the popping because
>> I could smell it starting to scorch. Only a few kernels got that
>> way and overall there is no scorched taste. But because of this,
>> about half of the kernels didn't pop. So, grrr...
>>
>> On the plus side, I still have most of the packet of seasoning #2
>> (the lemon and salt) so I can use it another time on my own
>> popcorn. And I will for sure try to come up with this seasoning
>> on my own. But this is exactly the flavor that I wanted. I only
>> used the tiniest bit of the oil this time.
>>

> Yes, some microwaves are absolutely better for popcorn. The higher the
> wattage, the faster and more completely it pops. We have two
> microwaves. The smaller countertop model has 1350 watts of power, and
> popcorn bare takes 2 minutes to pop, as well as popping all but 2 or 3
> kernals.
>
> The average home microwave is 1000 or 1100 watts, and some or less
> powerful. You may notice on many microwave packaged food items that
> the recommended cookin time is based on 1100 watts, otherwise you need
> to adjust the time.
>
> Unfortunate, popcorn suffers from lower power in the M/W.

Ah... Mine is 900 watts. My mom has a really large so I presume that it
has higher watts. Hers didn't scorch but neither did it all pop. An online
review at Amazon had some (but not a lot) of other people with the same
complaints that I had. They also said it was very inconsistent. Once in a
while they would have good luck with a bag but mainly not. Also saw that
one woman bought the powdered lemon to make her own. But she didn't say if
it came out right or not.