Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Dinner tonight

On 12/15/2013 1:48 AM, Todd wrote:
> On 12/14/2013 11:26 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> On 12/13/2013 9:02 PM, Todd wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Janet,
>>>
>>> Makes sense. Thank you for the update. Is your DH a type 1,2 3c?
>>>
>>> Thank you for the tips! Quinoa is suppose to be very good
>>> for you. Wish it was lower carb.
>>>

>> My DH is type 2. It is a hereditary illness. His dad and one of his
>> paternal uncles contracted it at the same age, 40. He is now 72 and
>> very well controlled, but when he was in his mid 60's his new endo
>> decided that all the years of medication had pretty much ruined his
>> pancreas so she put him on multiple daily injections and he did so well
>> that she got Medicare to pay for a pump.
>>
>> You would have to pry that pump out of his cold dead hands. His control
>> has never been better. His last A1C was 5.7 and I was in the hospital
>> unable to cook for him.
>>
>> We travel a lot and can't always control the meals, but he has learned
>> to approximate carbs and will use his pump to cover. It can do a
>> multiple, long-term bolus which is extremely helpful on cruise ships.
>>
>> He did gain some weight when he first went on insulin, but he's been
>> able to drop most of it.
>>
>> I know a lot of people are afraid of insulin, but it's been a blessing
>> for him. The pills were his undoing. He is part of the Avandia law
>> suite and did get a settlement, but no amount of money will restore his
>> ability to walk up a hill or carry a small bag as he now lives with
>> congestive heart failure directly traced to the Avandia.
>>
>> He still watches his carbs but they are not forbidden as the insulin
>> covers for them. We eat low carb, not no carb and I think he's healthier
>> for that.

> Hi Janet,
>
> Wonderful news on the control front. Horrible news on the drug
> damage front. I personally hate the drugs and hope I never
> have to go back on them. I am still not quite recovered
> from the Metformin.
>
> It is pretty hard to do "no carb". I am also low carb.
> One day I think I hit about 4 carbs. (Not on purpose,
> just what I ate that day.) Typically, I come in around
> 40 to 60.
>
> My observation about insulin is that people get in trouble
> with it when they overdo it to restore themselves to a
> previous extremely high carb lifestyle. Sound like your
> husband could teach a course on how to use insulin properly,
> which is also very good news.
>
> It is also a blessing that you are there for him and take
> such good care of him. Tell him I said he need to kiss
> your feet! :-)
>
> -T

We take turns caring for each other. I've just come through a horrible
experience with small cell lung cancer. The chemo treatments worked on
the cancer, but it the chemo almost killed me. I spent a total of 48
days out of 3 months in the hospital. While I was ill he took excellent
care of me.

This was my second battle with cancer. I had a totally unrelated bout in
2006 and wound up with a ruptured colon from all the pain meds. He took
care of me then, too.

We very much appreciate each other.

--
Janet Wilder