Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Carving Knife

On 2013-12-06 11:40 PM, wrote:

>> It's unusual because the mother almost always gets awarded custody. If
>> the father gets custody, it's not because he has something special
>> going for him, but the mother does. Severe drug addiction, for
>> instance.

> He fought for his son and received him, round here the myth that
> mothers always get the children, is just that, a myth. It's more the
> fathers can't imagine bringing up a child.

I don't think that anyone in the right mind would deny that sometimes
men do get custody of the kids. Nor would a person in their right mind
argue that in most cases the mother gets custody. For some reason,
wealthy men often end up paying outrageous child support.

It was interesting to see the online comments in a recent news story
about some guy who owes something like $340,000 in child support. He
lost his job in 2011 and was already behind in the $6,800 per month
payments. According to his parents, who have not heard from him in a few
years, he was fired because of addiction problems supposedly resulting
from prescription painkillers. They think he has had a breakdown and
have no idea where he is, if he is working or if he is even still alive.
They are worried about him.

A lot of the comments were about dead beat dads. A lot of them expressed
contempt for a system that would order him to pay such outrageous child
support. That monthly support works out to $96,000 per year. That means
he has to gross about $150,000 just to pay child support. Hard to do
when you are out of work. No wonder the guy has disappeared. I could
understand it if he had a break down, or if he just didn't want to have
to work all year just to pay child support.