Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: Post Thanksgiving wines- Sicily, Liguria, Wachau, South Africa

Enough leftovers! Saturday Betsy made a quick bouillabaisse , and I went non-traditional with Gruner Veltliner. The 2002 Donabaum “Spitzer Point” Grüner was full, rich and fresh. Crisp, with white nectarine and white pepper. Holding well, drinking well. B+

Sunday we went to her sister-in-laws for a big family dinner, provisioned from a trip to Arthur Avenue. Bruschetta, olives, etc, followed by cavatelli with sausage and broccoli rabe, chittara with shrimp fra diavolo, & ravioli with sage butter sauce. Three wines made it around:

2011 Iona Sauvignon Blanc
Decent South African SB, quite grassy, good acids, a bit short. B-
2012 Bruna “Le Russeghine:” Pigato (Riviera Ligure di Ponente )
nervy with melon and citrus, very aromatic. B+/B

2011 Occhipinti Frappatto
Crunchy red fruits, great acid balance, some tannin,lively. Delicious long finish, lovely wine. A-/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.