Posted to rec.food.cooking
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default Electrical Problem (Kinda OT, maybe)

On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 12:51:24 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 11/27/2013 11:56 AM, Metspitzer wrote:
>
>>> A frig should never be on a gfi circuit.

>> Like you say, it shouldn't be. I don't know how a home warranty
>> works, but it would be worth a try to get a separate outlet installed
>> for the freezer.

>Home warranty works like this. You pay the warranty company money. If
>something breaks, they spend as little as possible to get things working
>again and keep the rest of the money. Put that $500 a year into a
>saving account and you can handle just about anything needed around the
>house.
>
>In today's money I've been a homeowner for 48 years. Paying for a
>warranty would have been $24,000 over that time. Over the years I've
>replaced most every appliance we have and the heater in my present
>house. I'm about $10,000 ahead and I have the top of the line
>appliances I want, not some cheap crap or overhaul by a warranty
>company. Stuff wears out and then you replace it.
>
>GFCI outlets are required in garages as well as bathrooms and outdoors.
> It would be against code to run a circuit out there that is not GFCI.
> Even if you want to, it is not a warranty situation at all and they
>would pay nothing. That is between you and the electrician.
>

>> I think new codes even require the freezer on a GFCI (in the garage),
>> but it shouldn't be so overloaded that it trips. The freezer should
>> be on a separate circuit, even if that separate circuit is a GFCI.
>>

>Seems that is the case
>http://www.esgroundingsolutions.com/...a-refrigerator
>
>?In a Dwelling Unit (house or apartment) refrigerators located inside
>the kitchen do NOT have to have a GFCI. See 210.8(A)(6), Exhibit
>210.13, 210.52(B)(1), 210.52(B)(2), 210.52(B)(3), and Exhibit 210.28.
>If the circuit feeding the refrigerator outlet is branched to any other
>outlet, it must be a 20-A circuit. If the circuit feeding the
>refrigerator outlet is a dedicated individual circuit, than it can be
>either 15-A or 20-A.
>?In a garage or an unfinished basement of a Dwelling unit, the
>refrigerator must have a GFCI circuit. In fact ALL outlets must be GFCI
>in garages and unfinished basements. See 210.8(A)(2) and Exhibit 210.10.

This would be a good time to put the freezer on a separate outlet. It
could save some trouble down the road.

Using a hair dryer at the same time as the freezer cycles on could
easily cause a trip. Of course, if she was drying her hair when the
breaker tripped, she would be aware of it.

If she could convince the electrician when he comes out that the
freezer should be on a separate circuit, she may get it done for free.
(I know this is a low probability)