Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Electrical Problem (Kinda OT, maybe)

On 11/27/2013 11:56 AM, Metspitzer wrote:

>> A frig should never be on a gfi circuit.

> Like you say, it shouldn't be. I don't know how a home warranty
> works, but it would be worth a try to get a separate outlet installed
> for the freezer.

Home warranty works like this. You pay the warranty company money. If
something breaks, they spend as little as possible to get things working
again and keep the rest of the money. Put that $500 a year into a
saving account and you can handle just about anything needed around the
house.

In today's money I've been a homeowner for 48 years. Paying for a
warranty would have been $24,000 over that time. Over the years I've
replaced most every appliance we have and the heater in my present
house. I'm about $10,000 ahead and I have the top of the line
appliances I want, not some cheap crap or overhaul by a warranty
company. Stuff wears out and then you replace it.

GFCI outlets are required in garages as well as bathrooms and outdoors.
It would be against code to run a circuit out there that is not GFCI.
Even if you want to, it is not a warranty situation at all and they
would pay nothing. That is between you and the electrician.

> I think new codes even require the freezer on a GFCI (in the garage),
> but it shouldn't be so overloaded that it trips. The freezer should
> be on a separate circuit, even if that separate circuit is a GFCI.

Seems that is the case
http://www.esgroundingsolutions.com/...a-refrigerator

—¾In a Dwelling Unit (house or apartment) refrigerators located inside
the kitchen do NOT have to have a GFCI. See 210.8(A)(6), Exhibit
210.13, 210.52(B)(1), 210.52(B)(2), 210.52(B)(3), and Exhibit 210.28.
If the circuit feeding the refrigerator outlet is branched to any other
outlet, it must be a 20-A circuit. If the circuit feeding the
refrigerator outlet is a dedicated individual circuit, than it can be
either 15-A or 20-A.
—¾In a garage or an unfinished basement of a Dwelling unit, the
refrigerator must have a GFCI circuit. In fact ALL outlets must be GFCI
in garages and unfinished basements. See 210.8(A)(2) and Exhibit 210.10.