Posted to rec.food.cooking
Helpful person Helpful person is offline

Default Electrical Problem (Kinda OT, maybe)

On Tuesday, November 26, 2013 9:56:27 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Get a heavy duty extension cord and plug the freezer into a different
> circuit. Freezers don't take all that much power so most receptacle
> will do as long as it is on another breaker..
>
> Garage circuits are often on GFCI breakers or receptacles. Freezers
> should not be plugged unto them because the cause the problem you are
> seeing.
>
> Don't renew that home warranty either. You may have peace of mind, but
> they are costly and rare that a homeowner comes out ahead. Put that
> money in the bank and come out way ahead.

Excellent advice except for one point. As
stated, when running, freezers do not need a
high amperage. However, when the compressor
first switches on it does have a high amperage
spike. I can easily imagine this overloading a
GFCI circuit.

http://www.richardfisher.com