Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Electrical Problem (Kinda OT, maybe)

On 11/26/2013 8:23 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> Just venting a bit. Ignore at will.
>
> A couple of months ago one of the breakers on the main electrical box
> tripped. I thought I'd reset it but it took several tries before it
> actually "took".
>
> This particular circuit controls (oddly) the overhead lights in the
> master bathroom where the tub and toilet are AND all the electrical
> outlets in the garage. Where the freezer is. That last time this
> happened I finally got it reset. <whew> In the meantime, I'd moved as
> much frozen food into the freezer in the side-by-side fridge as I could
> fit. I stored some things in the neighbor's freezer.

I am confused. Was the breaker hard to flip or did it keep tripping
when you flipped it? Breakers are easily replaced. If it is constantly
tripping it you might be overloading the circuit, or there could be as
wiring problem that is shorting it out causing it to trip.

> This time, I've moved what I can fit to the fridge/freezer already.
> Because this time, that breaker absolutely will *not* reset. I've tried
> at least 20 times now. I think the breaker switch itself needs to be
> replaced.
>
> I've got a home warranty so I put in a service request. And left a
> message with the electricians they have a contract with. Here we are,
> two days before Thanksgiving. Even if I'm not cooking for company I
> stand to lose a goodly amount of food. I sure hope they can get someone
> out here tomorrow. I *know* this electrical company isn't going to be
> working on Thanksgiving. Possibly not even the day after. If they
> can't get to it tomorrow I'll be hunting down an electrican who can. I'm
> not sure I'll be able to find one.
>
> The good news is, I procrastinated about going to the grocery store
> yesterday. And today it was raining like mad. I'm not fond of
> at least I won't lose as much food as I might if I'd already gone to
> Publix.

How about running an extension cord to the freezer from a different
circuit.