Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Electrical Problem (Kinda OT, maybe)

On 11/26/2013 9:56 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 11/26/2013 8:23 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> Just venting a bit. Ignore at will.

>> This particular circuit controls (oddly) the overhead lights in the
>> master bathroom where the tub and toilet are AND all the electrical
>> outlets in the garage. Where the freezer is. That last time this
>> happened I finally got it reset. <whew> In the meantime, I'd moved as
>> much frozen food into the freezer in the side-by-side fridge as I could
>> fit. I stored some things in the neighbor's freezer.

> Get a heavy duty extension cord and plug the freezer into a different
> circuit. Freezers don't take all that much power so most receptacle
> will do as long as it is on another breaker.

The problem with that is I'd have to leave the kitchen door ajar and
plug it in in the kitchen. (That breaker controls all the outlets in the
garage.) Leaving that door ajar is not really an ideal situation.
There are a lot of creepy-crawly things looking to come inside as the
temperature drops. No thanks!

I'll be taking some things over to stash in the neighbors' freezer tomorrow.

> Garage circuits are often on GFCI breakers or receptacles. Freezers
> should not be plugged unto them because the cause the problem you are
> seeing.

I have no idea what a GFCI receptacle is. As I said, my parents had a
large freezer plugged into this same outlet for many years. No
problems, unless you count a 23 year old freezer finally giving up the
ghost.

> Don't renew that home warranty either. You may have peace of mind, but
> they are costly and rare that a homeowner comes out ahead. Put that
> money in the bank and come out way ahead.

I don't pay much. My neighbor has the same type of warranty. Her house
has two water heaters. They replaced both when they died, just a meager
service charge/deductible.

They've sent plumbers to clear toilet problems that wound up being due
to clogs in the outflow valve. Under the foundation but of course there
is a place it cuts into the sewer line. Really, $75 for the service
call isn't all that much money. Nor is the about $500 a year I pay for
the home warranty.

Jill