Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gary Gary is offline

Default storing herb/spices in the refrigerator

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> >sf wrote:

> >> I procrastinated and missed a great sale on a labeler at Office Depot
> >> or some place like that just a few days ago. I guess what stopped me
> >> was the tape cost as much as the label maker did.

> >Small rectangular labels from the office section work well and are
> >inexpensive. I use them for labeling freezer things. You write on
> >them, then peel off the sheet and stick on the container.

> Those labels are fine for permanent cupboard storage but not temporary
> freezer storage, they don't stick well to cold hard smooth surfaces,
> and when they do they're difficult to remove. Why make all that work
> for yourself, I write directly on the containe

Well, I stick them on the containers *before* they go into the
freezer. These containers that I freeze in are only for freezing so
even though those labels don't wash off well, I just stick a new one
on top of the old one.

Labeling things that go into the freezer is important too. Weeks or
months later, you can forget what's in them.

I found an unlabeled ziplock bag in my freezer this week that contains
two white squares of something. I can't imagine wth they are. They
might be very old squares of store bought frozen hash browns. That's
my best guess. Regardless, they are too old to eat but I'm going to
heat them up today just to smell and maybe find out what they are.
RIP frozen squares of whatever.

G.

G.