Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default storing herb/spices in the refrigerator

Gary wrote:
>sf wrote:
>> Doris Night wrote:
>>
>> > You can always slap a piece of masking tape on the jar and write
>> > "olives" on it.
>> >

>> I procrastinated and missed a great sale on a labeler at Office Depot
>> or some place like that just a few days ago. I guess what stopped me
>> was the tape cost as much as the label maker did.

>Small rectangular labels from the office section work well and are
>inexpensive. I use them for labeling freezer things. You write on
>them, then peel off the sheet and stick on the container.

Those labels are fine for permanent cupboard storage but not temporary
freezer storage, they don't stick well to cold hard smooth surfaces,
and when they do they're difficult to remove. Why make all that work
for yourself, I write directly on the container:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grease_pencil
http://www.staples.com/grease%20penc...rease%20pencil
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_59lw0pnn0f_b
I also use grease pencils to write the date of purchase on can lids,
etc., they are very handy for lots of temporary marking.... can even
write a note on your fridge or countertop, on a window, mirror, etc.