Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia[_11_] Ophelia[_11_] is offline

Default Corned Beef

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 11/16/2013 12:02 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Corned beef, fish....corned anything refers to soaking it in a
>>> super-saturated salt brine before putting away.

>> Is it first salted and then dried?
>>
>> Has nothing to do with
>>> the vegetable corn.

>> Thanks, Gary. That is how I understood it too but I wasn't sure. I've
>> never seen that here, the only corned beef we get is canned and is very
>> salty.
>>

> You can make your own, if you've a mind to. Here's a step-by-step with
> pictures of the process for a 5 lb. brisket:
>
> http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes...d_corned_beef/

Thank you very much for that! We might just give it a try! Can I ask ...
later in
the recipe it says 'cover' with one inch of water ??? Does that literally
mean cover it completely with water, with one inch extra water extra over
the
top of the meat ... Also, all that pickling spices, does it make it very
spicy?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/