Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Pot Roast Simmering

On 11/15/2013 8:12 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 16:18:41 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> Yes, I finally got around to cooking it. It's still simmering away. It
>> will be close to an hour before it's fully tender. I'll most likely
>> make a simple slurry of cornstarch and water to thicken the gravy.
>>
>> No, I didn't add potatoes, carrots, etc. I'll be serving it with mashed
>> potatoes and either broccoli or lima beans.
>>
>> For those who *demand* photos (heheh), here it is:
>>
>> http://s1342.photobucket.com/user/ji...dbae7.jpg.html
>>
>> Now wasn't that terribly exciting?!
>>
>> Jill

> WTF is that... it looks diseased... I've flushed more exciting.

At least it's not a picture of grits. Heh.

The pot roast (beef shoulder, 2.5 lb, shrunk to about 2 lb. after
browning and simmering) turned out very well. Tender and quite tasty.
Very good gravy. Oh, but you don't like gravy, do you? Yes, mashed
potatoes. I settled on fordhook limas for the green vegetable. No, I
didn't bother taking a picture of it. You've just proved a picture
doesn't mean much of anything.

You'll probably say I should have cooked a 5 lb. roast. No, because I
didn't want that much. Sure, I'll portion and freeze individual meals
from the leftovers. But I don't cook six months worth of leftover pot
roast meals, either.

Jill