Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default storing herb/spices in the refrigerator

On 2013-11-15 1:20 AM, sf wrote:

> Actually not big at all and they take up a lot of space. I just ask
> myself what I want to do more - replace herbs and spices yearly or
> shop like a metro (or town center) European? I choose shopping more
> often for things I use immediately.

I get my spices and dried herbs at the bulk barn. The cost a small
fraction of what you pay for the bottled stuff. Most of mine are kept
in stainless cannisters that I got at Lee Vally.... 200 ml, almost a
cup. I replenished my supply of dried parsley and oregano. It was less
than 50 cents for both. they would have been $3-4 for a jar less than
half that size at the grocery store. Last year I got ground ginger
there.... $4 for a jar.... 14 cents to get enough to fill the old jar.

Herbs and spices degrade over time. At the the prices I pay I really
don't worry about the cost.

For instance, a couple weeks ago I