Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default storing herb/spices in the refrigerator

On 11/15/2013 12:46 AM, Polly Esther wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> news
>>>
>>> I keep far more "seasonings" in my refrigerator than the average
>>> poster to RFC does, but for other everyone else - the lazy Susan idea
>>> works very well for me in my cupboards, so I see no reason why it
>>> wouldn't work in my refrigerator too.
>>>
>>> Put a lazy Susan in your refrigerator too!
>>>

>> I did try that. Was nothing but a big waste of space. And there is
>> no way I would refrigerate spices. They're not meant to be refrigerated!

Says who, Julie? I freeze herbs and spices all the time. Lots of
people do. Dried spices lose their 'kick' over time if stored at room
temp in bottles or jars. Properly packaged, they retain their pungency
with refrigeration or freezing.

> I keep many spices on the top shelf door of our refrigerator. Stuff I
> hardly every use. Well. Stuff I frequently use. The totally dumbest
> thing I note in 'decorator' kitchen design is keeping them above or
> beside the stove top. Polly

I don't know what that means, Polly. Where you choose to store things
in the kitchen is up to you. It doesn't have to be stored above or
beside the stovetop.

Jill