Mark Willstatter

Default White Merlot, White Cabernet Sauvignon

Vino > wrote in message >. ..
<snip>
> Why would pressing skins ever be relevant in making a rosé? Or am I
> again missing something?

Myself, I have no idea if the previous post was correct, that one is
officially not supposed to press the skins when making a rosé by the
saignée method. But I don't see any practical reason why you
couldn't. After all, if the definition of saignée includes draining
up to all the juice off, the skins will press themselves to a degree,
the weight of skins on top pressing down on those below. A winemaker
might well want employ a press for a rosé for the same reason they
press other wines (red, white and in-between): to get more juice from
the fruit. In the case of a rosé, I would think they might be
motivated to press lightly, though, in order to avoid extracting too
much tannin.

- Mark W.