Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Krispy Kreme waffles

On 2013-11-03 9:15 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

>>> I first noticed they were everywhere in the Boston area. Thought
>>> it maybe was my imagination until I took the Duck Tour and the
>>> guide mentioned that Boston had more Dunkin Donuts per capita
>>> than anywhere else. After that trip is when the number of
>>> locations quintupled where I live, so who knows if that's still true.

>> DD HQ is in Randolph MA, about 20 miles out of Boston.

> Aha, that explains it. I don't know why I noticed but it caught
> my eye, then I saw them every other block. I'm exaggerating. A
> bit.

I thought that Hamilton ON would have the most Tim Hortons per capita
but I was wrong. That honour goes to Moncton NB. That town of only
65,000 has 22 Hortons outlets.

> That whole centralized baking thing ruined donuts for me.
> I liked the sour cream donut (which might sound gooey but it was
> plain, and had a really nice crispiness) and the original Dunkin
> Donut with the 'handle' ... they just don't have the same
> texture anymore and they seem like they're on the wrong side
> of stale.

When they used to make the donuts in the stores they were so much
better. I used to like to get glazed donuts while they were still
warm. Once they have cooled off they lose 90% of their appeal.

> Not a great loss, I only got them once in a while, but I do miss
> those. Okay, and the chocolate filled ones, I used to like those
> too.

I used to go out for bicycle rides and pedal 10-15 miles, stop for a
coffee and donut and then pedal home. Then I had a cardiac issue and
donuts were stricken from my diet. Now I pedal that distance, turn
around and pedal home.